Displaying the File Browser
Click on the The File Browser button to open a File Browser window.
The File Browser toolbar
The documentation window toolbar lets you navigate through the documentation. In addition to a Search window, the toolbar includes several buttons to control display and navigation.
The Toggle Sidebar button lets you display or hide the sidebar for the File Browser. You can use the sidebar to browse the files in your search path, navigate and refine the results of searches, and to create and manage Collections.
The Toggle Details button lets you display or hide the details display are of the file browser, where details about individual files are displayed when they are selected You can use the browse the files in your search path, navigate and refine the results of searches, and to create and manage Collections.
The Navigate Back and Navigate Forward buttons are the same thing as a Back and Forward buttons in a web browser.
Exploring Max using the File Browser
The File Browser sidebar provides a tabbed interfaces that lets you explore all of the resources at your disposal as you patch using Max. The different tabs provide different ways of thinking about and organizing Max patches, vignettes, documentation, media, and code. You can also create Collections - your own collections of files you work with all the time.
Getting information about your files
- Click on the The File Browser button to open a File Browser window. You'll see several tabs that provide ways of organizing your files.
- Click on any tab to expand it and display the specified file kinds.
- Some sidebar tabs have their own subfolders. A tab arrow will be displayed in those cases, and you can click on the arrow to further explore subfolders.
- Click any grouping in the File Browser toolbar to display the files. The tab you have chosen will be highlighted in the sidebar to indicate it is chosen.
- If Toggle Details in the patcher toolbar is enabled, information about the file you selected will be displayed at the bottom of the File Browser window.
Getting back to work
The Max application keeps track of the work you've been doing recently - what you've looked at, and files you've created or added. You can use the File Browser to easily return to what you were doing.
- Click on the The File Browser button to open a File Browser window. Click on the Recently Added tab to display patchers you've recently created or files that you have added to your search path
- Click on the Recently Used tab to display patchers you've recently used when patching.