Live Presets and the Live Library
By default, Live stores its presets in the current Library you are using.
Presets for a Devices in the Library
When you store a preset for a Max device in the Library, it appears beneath the device hierarchically. In the example shown below, NicePreset is a preset that has been saved for the Max device MyEffect.
Presets for a Devices Outside the Library
When you store a preset for a Max device that is not located in the Library, the preset will have a special preset-plus-device icon and also show the device name in square brackets before the preset name. In the example below, we stored a preset called GiantPreset for an effect originally outside the Library called MyGiantEffect.
Saving a Max Device in the Library
If you want to save a device into the Live library, it's better to use the Save As... command within Max instead of moving the device file using your operating system. Using Save As... permits Live to keep track of your device and manage its presets.
- Insert the device you want to move. Click the edit button to launch Max to edit the device.
- In Max, choose Save As... from the File menu. Navigate the standard save file dialog to show the current Live Library folder. Save the device inside the Presets folder inside the Library folder, or a subfolder of the Presets folder.
- Return to Live and you will see the newly saved device. In the example below, we saved our device as MyEffect.
Updating Presets to Use New Max Devices
Please note that the following procedure could render your presets inoperative. If you choose a Max device that is not compatible with the preset's stored data, the preset is unlikely to do anything. Or if it does something, it's unlikely to do what you want.
- Before starting the procedure, ensure that the Max device you want to use for your preset files is in the library and appears in the list of devices in the Live file browser.
- In Live's File Browser, control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) on the preset you wish to update and choose Manage File from the pop-up menu that appears.
- On the right-hand side of the Live window, the File Manager screen appears. Click the View Files button. The Max device associated with the preset file you chose to manage will be listed.
- Click the hot swap button to the left of the Max device filename. It will turn into an orange X as shown below.
- Return to the Live file browser and navigate to the Max device file you wish to use. It will have an orange hot swap button to the right of the name. Click on it.
- The name listed in the File Manager screen on the right-hand side of the Live window will change to the device you have just chosen.
- To complete the change, click the Save button at the bottom of the File Manager window.
- If the chosen replacement device was originally saved via Max, the preset now appears beneath it in the Live file browser. (If it wasn't saved via Max, the preset file will probably appear by itself -- but it will still work.)