As you patch, you will inevitably have Max objects that overlap (e.g., placing user interface objects or comment boxes on top of a panel when creating a user interface). Max uses a foreground layer and a background layer, and also allows you to rearrange the relative front-to-back ordering of objects themselves in each of these layers.
Ordering Commands in the Arrange menu
- Bring to Front moves selected objects draw in front of all other objects.
- Bring Forward brings the selected objects in front of the object they are immediately behind. Bring Forward is also available in the Patcher window toolbar.
- Send to Back moves the selected objects behind all other objects.
- Send Backward moves the selected objects behind the object the are immediately in front of. Send Backward is also available in the Patcher window toolbar.
Determining an object's ordering
- Select the object(s) whose relative ordering interests you.
- Look at the patcher window toolbar. If the Send Forward icon is disabled, the object is the frontmost object. If the Send Backward icon is disabled, the object is the object farthest in back. If neither icon is disabled, the object is somehere in the middle.