mc.assign Reference

Assign Messages to MC Objects

mc.assign

Description

The mc.assign object assigns MC channels to incoming messages (numbers, lists, and symbols) according to patterns of channels and delays you define.

Discussion

The mc.assign object has a pattern attribute that defines how an incoming message is passed on to a connected MC object in the form of setvalue messages. The pattern uses a small set of symbols to describe how it behaves in response to an incoming message. The mc.assign object's mode attribute determines how incoming messages are handled by the pattern.
When the mode is set to Step, incoming messages advance through the pattern one step at a time. When the mode mode is set to Normal, mc.assign plays through the entire pattern for each incoming message. When the mode is set to Listiter, list messages are broken up into individual numbers. For example, an incoming list message 50 60 70 with a pattern of 2 3 would produce three messages: setvalue 2 50, setvalue 3 60, and setvalue 2 70.
Here is a description of the behavior of each of the available pattern elements:

  • number (int) in a pattern always sends the message to the specified channel. If the pattern was 2 3 4 an incoming message would generate setvalue messages to channels 2, 3, and 4.
  • The | (vertical bar) symbol starts and ends a "chord" which sends an incoming message to multiple channels. For example, to send the incoming message to channels 2 and 3 simultaneously, the pattern would be | 2 3 |. This simultaneous behavior will happen in all settings of the mode attribute.
  • An x in a pattern skips the message and does not produce any output.
  • An * (asterisk) in a pattern chooses the channel randomly. It can also choose to skip a message. The probability that * will output an incoming message is set by the density attribute. If the density is set to 0.9, a * in a pattern will output the message an average of 90% of the time (and skip the message 10% of the time). The * element does not repeat until all channels have been chosen. In other words it behaves like the Max urn object. (Compare with the $ described below.)
  • + (plus sign) in a pattern chooses the channel randomly without repeating along the lines of * but unlike * , + never skips a message.
  • $ (dollar sign) in a pattern chooses the channel randomly. It can also choose to skip a message. The probability that $ will output an incoming message is set by the density attribute. If the density is set to 0.1, a $ in a pattern will output the message an average of 10% of the time (and skip the message 90% of the time). Unlike the * element, $ may repeat values. In other words it behaves like the Max random object.
  • # (pound sign) in a pattern chooses the channel randomly like the $ element, but unlike $ , # never skips a message.
  • The ^ (circumflex) in a pattern cycles through channels in ascending order. For example, if an mc.assign object with 4 channels contained the pattern ^ 1, it would output incoming messages on channels 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1 before repeating.

Arguments

None.

Attributes

chans [int]

The chans attribute determines the maximum value that the random or cyclic pattern elements will generate. However, chans will not constrain literal numbers contained in a pattern.

delays [atom]

The delays attribute sets a repeating pattern of delay times used when iterating through a chord in a pattern. For example, if delays is set to 100 200 and there is a four-item chord in a pattern (such as | 1 2 3 4 |), an incoming messages will output on channel 1 immediately, then output on channel 2 100ms later, then output on channel 3 200ms after that, then finally output on channel 4 100ms after that (because the delay pattern repeats). To clear the delays attribute and output all messages in a chord simulataneously, send the message delays with no arguments or the word none.

density [float]

Determines the probability of playing an event when a pattern element is a * or $ . When density is set to 0.9, there is a 90% chance an incoming message will be sent out and 10% chance it will be skipped.

mode [int]

The mode attribute determines how incoming messages are handled by the current pattern and delays.

Possible values:

0 = 'Normal' ( Play Complete Patterns )
Each incoming message progresses through the complete pattern.

1 = 'Step' ( Step Through Patterns )
Each incoming message uses one element of the current pattern, advancing to the next message to be used on the next incoming message.

2 = 'Listiter' ( Iterate Through Incoming Lists )
Each incoming message progresses through the complete pattern. Groups of pattern elements (within vertical bars) are broken into individual numbers; the pattern advances, outputting one list element at a time until the both end of the list and the end of the pattern are reached. If the pattern is shorter than the list, it will repeat from the beginning. If the list is shorter than the pattern it will repeat from the beginning.

pattern [atom]

Determines a cyclical pattern of channel assignments. The pattern attribute consists of channel numbers or symbolic elements that generate cyclical or random channel values (see discussion above for details). The mc.assign object always has a non-empty pattern attribute; the default pattern is 1 2 3 4 5 6. To clear the pattern, set the pattern attribute to none or send the message pattern with no arguments.

pos [int]

The pos attribute is the current position within the pattern. Changes to the position will mostly be ignored if a pattern is currently generating output messages.

Common Box Attributes

annotation [symbol]

Sets the text that will be displayed in the Clue window when the user moves the mouse over the object.

background [int] (default: 0)

Adds or removes the object from the patcher's background layer. background 1 adds the object to the background layer, background 0 removes it. Objects in the background layer are shown behind all objects in the default foreground layer.

color [4 floats]

Sets the color for the object box outline.

fontface [int]

Sets the type style used by the object. The options are:

plain
bold
italic
bold italic

Possible values:

0 = 'regular'
1 = 'bold'
2 = 'italic'
3 = 'bold italic'

fontname [symbol]

Sets the object's font.

fontsize [float]

Sets the object's font size (in points).

Possible values:

'8'
'9'
'10'
'11'
'12'
'13'
'14'
'16'
'18'
'20'
'24'
'30'
'36'
'48'
'64'
'72'

hidden [int] (default: 0)

Toggles whether an object is hidden when the patcher is locked.

hint [symbol]

Sets the text that will be displayed in as a pop-up hint when the user moves the mouse over the object in a locked patcher.

ignoreclick [int] (default: 0)

Toggles whether an object ignores mouse clicks in a locked patcher.

jspainterfile [symbol]

JS Painter File

patching_rect [4 floats] (default: 0. 0. 100. 0.)

Sets the position and size of the object in the patcher window.

position [2 floats]

g/s(set)

Sets the object's x and y position in both patching and presentation modes (if the object belongs to its patcher's presentation), leaving its size unchanged.

presentation [int] (default: 0)

Sets whether an object belongs to the patcher's presentation.

presentation_rect [4 floats] (default: 0. 0. 0. 0.)

Sets the x and y position and width and height of the object in the patcher's presentation, leaving its patching position unchanged.

rect [4 floats]

g/s(set)

Sets the x and y position and width and height of the object in both patching and presentation modes (if the object belongs to its patcher's presentation).

size [2 floats]

g/s(set)

Sets the object's width and height in both patching and presentation modes (if the object belongs to its patcher's presentation), leaving its position unchanged.

textcolor [4 floats]

Sets the color for the object's text in RGBA format.

textjustification [int]

Sets the justification for the object's text.

Possible values:

0 = 'left'
1 = 'center'
2 = 'right'

varname [symbol]

Sets the patcher's scripting name, which can be used to address the object by name in pattr, scripting messages to thispatcher, and the js object.

Messages

bang

bang message is repeated to the left outlet of mc.assign preceded by the word setvalue and the channel number determined by the current pattern.

int

A number is repeated to the left outlet of mc.assign preceded by the word setvalue and the channel number determined by the current pattern.

float

A number is repeated to the left outlet of mc.assign preceded by the word setvalue and the channel number determined by the current pattern.

list

A list is repeated to the left outlet of mc.assign preceded by the word setvalue and the channel number determined by the current pattern.

anything

A message is repeated to the left outlet of mc.assign preceded by the word setvalue and the channel number determined by the current pattern.

See Also

Name Description
mc.target Format messages to control MC objects
mc.makelist Create a list from non-signal output of MC objects
mc.route Direct output of messages based on an index received
Event-handling with MC Event-handling with MC
New MC Event Objects New MC Event Objects