The Package Manager
The Package Manager provides instant access to a regularly updated, curated selection of Max add-on content and tools to manage which Packages are currently installed in Max.
Access the Package Manager by selecting “Show Package Manager” in the File menu, or click here.
Browsing and Installing Packages
- The Package Manager will start out in the “Browse Remote Packages” browsing view by default. You can always return to this page by clicking the Browse Remote Packages icon on the top toolbar of the Package Manager window.
- Click on a Package to inspect its details. This will show you important information such as System Requirements, Package contents, and give you a link to the Package author’s website.
- To install a Package, click the blue Install button
- Once a Package is installed, click the Launch button (if available) to view the Launch Patcher for the Package. To view and interact with the included files, click Show in File Browser.
Managing Installed Packages
- At the top of the Package Manager window, click the Show Installed Packages icon on the top toolbar. This will show all Packages installed in your copy of Max, including both online and manually-installed ones.
- To disable a Package without deleting it entirely, click the Disable button after selecting the package. If disabled, the button will change its label to Enable; click it to re-enable the Package. Note that Packages including externals will require a restart of Max before changes take effect.
- You can remove a Package entirely by clicking the red Uninstall button.
Note: You can add a 500 x 500px icon to your own self-installed Packages by placing a PNG image named “icon.png” in the root of the Package folder.
Package Install Location
Note: All Packages are installed in your user Max 8/Packages folder, but it is preferable to manage them through the Package Manager interface. Don’t change the folder names in downloaded packages.
Package Updates and Versions
The Package Manager will notify you when the window is opened if there are any updates available for your installed Packages. You can also check the Show Installed Packages view to see the status of your Packages.
- To change installed versions of a Package, use the Version menu in the Package detail view
- If you have a self-installed Package that conflicts with a Package available in our online library, you will have the option to overwrite it with our version or ignore it and leave it unchanged.
- The Package Manager itself is also automatically updated. You will be prompted to if there is a Package Manager update available when you open the window.
|Working With Packages||Working With Packages|