The right patcher window toolbar located at the right of the patcher window lets you control the content to be displayed in the Max sidebar, and also provides a neat way to keep track of your patching work and to audio control over the patch displayed in the patcher window.
The Sidebar is a helpful 'drawer' that contains combines the functionality of several different Windows in earlier versions of Max. You can display or hide the Sidebar at will, and choose what you'd like to see when you display the Sidebar.
The Calendar button displays the calendar browser, which provides you with an easy reference to the patches and objects you've been using recently.
The Reference button displays a searchable reference panel and a toolbar similar to the Documentation window toolbar you can use to explore the messages and attributes of any currently selected object, along with a listing of other related Max objects. in the Sidebar.
The Max Lessons button displays a selection of interactive lessons that will help you learn to use Max.
The Audio Meter/Gain slider lets you monitor audio produced from the patcher window. It is an optional toolbar item you can hide or display.
Hiding/Displaying the Right Patcher Window Toolbar
You can choose to display (pin) or to hide (unpin) the right patcher window toolbar, and the Max application will remember your choice and show or hide the display the next time you open the patch.
Hiding (Unpinning) the Right Patcher Window Toolbar
- Click the Unpin toolbar triangle (located at the left border of the right patcher toolbar at the halfway point of the patcher window to hide the toolbar.
Displaying (Pinning) the Right Patcher Window Toolbar
- When the right toolbar is unpinned, position your cursor along the right edge of the patcher window. A double-arrow cursor will appear, and the right patcher window toolbar will be displayed.
- Click the Pin toolbar triangle (located at the left border of the right patcher toolbar at the halfway point of the patcher window) to display the toolbar.
By default, the right patcher window toolbar includes an Audio Meter/Gain slider that lets you monitor audio produced from the patcher window and adjust its volume. While this is useful, you may elect to remove it from the toolbar. The Max application will remember your choice to show or hide optional buttons and retain your settings the next time you open the patch.
Add the Audio Meter/Gain slider to the Right Patcher Window Toolbar
- Control-click (Macintosh) or right-click in the bottom patcher window toolbar to show the Options menu. Select Add Audio Meter/Gain from the menu.
- A Global Transport button will now appear in your toolbar. Click and drag to adjust the output volume of your patcher window's audio.
- To remove the Global Transport button from the toolbar, control-click (Macintosh) or right-click on the Global Transport button to show the Options menu and select Remove Audio Meter/Gain from Toolbar.
The Calendar Browser
The Max calendar browser not only not only keeps you aware of today's date, but it also keeps track of the Max files you've been working with and consulting as you patch. You can use the calendar browser to remind yourself of what you were working with last Tuesday, and to have a look at those files.
Viewing the Calendar Browser
- Click on the calendar button in the right patcher window toolbar to show a calendar for the current month. Today's date is helpfully highlighted.
- Click on a day in the calendar to show a display of the Max resources you were using that day. These resources include documents and Max projects you opened, and the Max help files you consulted.
- To display the files you consulted, select the file name. The files or projects or help files will open in a new patcher window.