Debugging Max Patchers
Data flow in a Max patcher can sometimes get extremely complex and confusing. When that happens, one way you can examine data flow is by using the built-in debugging tools in Max. These tools, which are available via the Debug Menu and also from within the contextual menu in Max, allow a programmer to "Step through" code and observe data flow using breakpoints and monitors.
Tools for Monitoring Activity
- Monitor Watchpoints permit you to monitor data flowing through patch cords
- Print Watchpoints permit you to monitor data flowing through patch cords and display them in the Max Console
- The signal probe shows signal values flowing through audio patch cords
- The matrix probe shows different aspects of matrix data in Jitter matrix patch cords
- You can add data monitoring objects to a patch to observe or capture data
Tools for Observing Patch Execution
- Break Watchpoints stop the execution of a patch at a specific place, permitting you to step through it
- The debug window provides information about the current execution "stack"
|Max Basic Tutorial 5: Message Order and Debugging||Max Basic Tutorial 5: Message Order and Debugging|
|Error Messages||Error Messages|